A lot is being made lately of the abortion issue.
Here are the facts.
Out of approx 100,000 abortions, 73,191 were Medicare (that's your taxes) funded between 7/2003 and 6/2004. That's an overwhelming majority in anyone's book.
South Australia, the only state publishing detailed data on abortions, provides a snapshot of what's happening Australia-wide.
- 53.9% of abortions were performed on women that were married or in defacto relationships. (not the proverbial rape victims, incest victims or even temporary relationships)
- Less than 3% were performed for medical reasons
- 0.3% were due to a woman's medical condition.
1. Write to your MP and to the Prime Minister and Hon Peter Costello (Treasurer) to request that Medicare funds no longer be used for abortions.
3. Contact both Hon Tony Abbott (Minister for Health) and Senator Eric Abetz (TAS) to commend them for their comments on the subject of abortion-on-demand.
source: The Australian, Monday November 8, 2004.